Friday, October 23

To flee is Life, to stay, Death

Film #5: Let the Right One In


When my Mom, Marianne and Lucy left my house last night after and evening of haircuts, dinner and really great bad TV, it was 9:30 and I was ready for bed. Literally in my pj's and very happy about it. I was just planning on putting in "Let the Right One In" and crashing while it played. Then Anthony got home and for some reason he thinks that I can't half ass my 10 Halloween movies. Even though I have seen them all before. He thinks, I need to watch them again, all the way through, before I can post on them. I almost didn't make it through this one, I got very whiny at the end, I was so sleepy and I felt and still feel like, its a dumb rule. I like my bedtime of : too early for someone my age. I like my sleep, and I get very cranky when I don't get it. I would be all for work day nap times. You don't appreciate them when you are little. I remember hating nap time, now I would give just about anything for a mid day snooze.


If there was ever a bummer of an age to be stuck in for your immortal life, I think 12 would be it.How frustrating would it be? Being technically hundreds of years old in experience and knowledge, yet your body will never mature out of puberty. Being stuck in your most awkward phase of development for your entire existence. The age where you feel like all your limbs are too big for your body. I don't know about you, but 12 was not a good age for me. Pre braces, pre shaving and pre knowing how to do my hair. However, I think that the age of Oskar and Eli, is the genius of this story. It adds a level of tenderness and heart, that you just don't get when your vampires are old enough to be romantic and sexy. Its a very innocent and needing love, one that would only exist under these circumstances. My favorite shot in this movie is when Eli pulls Oskar out of the pool, he has his eyes closed and he opens them and sees Eli. Even with the blood splatters on her face she looks beautiful and that is when he knows that no matter what she is, he cares for her, even loves her. And if I had stuck to my original plan of falling asleep to this movie, I would have missed this part. So maybe the rule is not sooo dumb after all. L

3 comments:

  1. I bought this move because I heard a lot of high praise for it... then I watched it and was severly disappointed. I guess there were some kind of good parts in it but overall I was not happy. Maybe its cuz I heard the book was kind of gorey and a lot more creepier... so maybe I just shouldnt have compared them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, cause I love this movie. I have the book but have yet to read it. Maybe I will change my mind once I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you totes will have to let me know how the book is then, im willing to give it another chance because i think there is some real horror potential going on.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Log