Thursday, October 1

A poinsettia in poison rain


So yesteryear I was talking to this kid in my Public Speaking class about Passion Pit, and he was all, " Are you going to see them?" and instead of saying I have no such money for delicacies (I would do anything for a juicy hamburger) such as shows I said I was getting too old for shows. And then he was all confused, cause I'm not really all that old, only I really feel like I am just over the whole concept of the people at said shows. Anyhoo, then he was all, "go late." Which I have, only when I spend money to see a show I want to be within spitting distance of the showee, I want to BE there, ya know?
So anyway this is all part and partial to the actual story. Somehow the Alkaline trio show I recently-ish attended came up (and by somehow I mean I know exactly how, only this is already too wordy) and he was all grossed out, which is all good, cause like I have said before, I think I am the ONLY person outside a precious few in my family that likes Alkaline Trio.
Then he was all, "Out of all those kind of bands I prefer Say Anything."
I'm sorry but Say Anything is no where near being on the same level, let alone the same genre as Alkaline Trio.
And so he was all, "They are the same punk thing."
If Say Anything is now considered punk we have a bigger problem than me not having any money. I am not even sure I would consider Alkaline Trio punk.
Remember the good old days when Punk actually meant something? Remember when they weren't named Troy Domstead and had cell phones and brand new Jeeps their father bought them? Remember when they liked things like the Crimson Ghost, and didn't put X's on their hands because that's what Davey Havok did in his Silver and Cold music video?
Remeber: Punk is dead Lucy, you're next.
L

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to post how much I love Alkaline Trio's old stuff. I still remember seeing them at Kilby Court years ago, back when all the people who loved them from Utah could actually fit in that tiny venue. The memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Maybe I'll catch Fire, thats my favorite cd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intellectually I am totally on board wit this but I have never actually had a tormented enough soul to fully rep the angst ridden punk purist that this post needs. I totally remember debating with a dude at work about how much punker his french punk friends were than Utah punks (I know ur like "fur reelz french punks?") I could not respond with enough punkish anger then, and I can't muster it now.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Log