Friday, September 25

People are always saying you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing, like a toaster.

So I was thinking yesterday while Liz, Marianne, and I were watching Vampire Diaries how pretty much every television show about teenagers nowa days is about the rich and beautiful. And in my head I contrasted this against some really great shows in the 90's like My So-Called Life and Freaks and Geeks.


Both shows were golden, but were sadly cut before they could even hit 20 episodes. Which is actually kind of remarkable because Jared Leto is such a buck.

SO, I think that shows like that are canceled and shows like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries do so well is because people watch television to escape. You don't want to watch a TV show about being a nerd, when that's what you are. You want to watch a television show with actors that are out of high school and don't have combination skin.

You want a TV show about the fabulous life of the upper east side, because that is something you will never experience. I will never have a friend that I kill some one with, that's just not me. But I will watch that happen, and like it!
I would watch My SO-Called Life if it were on now. But that's because I am not in high school and I am not trying to prove that I am cooler than jock that almost peed him self laughing when I fell up the stairs (which happened, and obviously, no, I am not harboring any feelings about that.)
L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Log