Monday, November 16

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues - Magnificent Shoes Monday



Like all small girls, my sisters and myself were enrolled in various dance classes, as small tots. I was a really shy kid. I didn't have a lot of friends. I think it has something to do with having a large family. Which I know makes no sense, I should have been really comfortable with people, but I really wasn't. Dancing was one time and place where I felt comfortable in my own skin. Well not all dance classes. I think generally speaking, I was a terrible Jazz and Tap dancer. I still sometimes have nightmares about those classes. Where I am literally standing in the wings ready to emerge onto the stage, and I have no clue what my steps are. Ballet was a different story.

Some days I hated it, I will admit. But mostly I loved the way it made me feel. It was a painful and loveless sort of punishment for your body, on a day to day basis. It always seemed that I pushed myself and never got any better. Until one day while standing in first position I could bend over and lie my palms on the floor and touch my nose to my knees.

I wish now that I would have continued dancing. I remember so many times looking at the pictures of the dancers on the walls. In there perfectly pointed feet and gorgeous forms. I wanted so badly to be that beautiful, that graceful. I gave up to soon, I took advantage of it and it is one regret I will always have. L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Log