Tuesday, December 15

KROQ - A concert that was never close to being acoustic

This weekend I attended the famous radio station KROQ, in California, Almost Acoustic Christmas Concert. A few things need to be mentioned, before I get into this very long post about each band that performed. 1. Studio City California is amazing. I want to die and comeback as a house just off Ventura Blvd., just like the one we parked by, on our way to that delish Thai restaurant. 2. I want to live in California after every time I visit. 3. When presented with five hours of music. And you have to see the first band. A rotating stage is the most necessary thing, EVER.
Band #1, 6 pm, White Rabbits: Have you heard of them? If not I suggest you pick up the Album: It's Frightening. And listen to Percussion Gun, a million times. And then feel excited and amazed that they sound that good live. I personally think they should have been higher on the bill, but whatever.
{stltoday.com}

Band #2, 625 pm, Metric (intorduced by the Mayor of the Sunset Strip himself, Rodney Bingenheimer, if you have not seen that movie and you don't know of whom I speak, I suggest that watching "Mayor of the Sunset Strip" is what you do with your Tuedsay night): You may have heard their song "Help I'm alive" on the radio? Strangely, it doesn't sound too much like the rest of their music. Which I liked, way more, than I have ever like that song. To me, Miss Emily Haines, who has a solo project and is in Broken Social Scene, sounds like a poor mans Maja Ivarsson, from The Sounds. At least in the band Metric. Not that she is bad and Maja is really good. I just kept making that comparison.
{chartattack.com}


Band #3, 655pm, Cage the Elephant: These dudes should have been the openers. Their song which sounds like a White Strips rip off  "No Rest for the Wicked" must have been written by someone else. The rest of their stuff sounds nothing like it. I have a hard time being on board with a band that will sell their soul, for one radio song. If you are going to sound like "Hot Hot Heat" then sound like that. I also think you need a new lead singer. He was the weak link in your chain.
{barflyclub.com}




Band #4, 725pm, PHOENIX(from France, sexy accents): This for me was my favorite performance of the night. If I said it once this weekend I have said it one million times. The measure of a good band, is how they perform live. Phoenix sounds like Phoenix. They were so solid I could have cried tears of rejuvenating, healing gold. You will recognize the song "1901" from the Cadillac Commercials. Also the lead singer, Thomas Mars, is Sophia Coppola's baby daddy. J'ai envie de pleurer des larmes d'or pour eux. {allthingsgo.files.wordpress}


Band #5, 755pm: Vampire Weekend: Oh hell, it was a good hour for me. Second best performance for me was these tasty lads. Once again, they sound just like they should, when performing live. Fun Fact: Their name "Vampire Weekend" comes from a short film, Ezra the lead singer, made- of the same name. If he could be any more attractive, I would, could, should, have him for my own. I would keep him in my ashtray and make him sing "Mansard Roof" to me, at my every whim. 
{showclix.com} 






Two Bands I can't even comment on: Slightly Stoopid#6 and 311 #8. I was once told If I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I can say that Dr. Drew; THE silver fox himself presented one of the above mentioned bands. I just about lost my panties. I love him!
Band #7, 900 pm, The Bravery: Um, whatever, they sounded fine, that's right, just fine. However the lead singer sounded worse than even fine. I think they should have been sooner on the bill, maybe like second?  I thought they should have been ashamed to play after Phoenix, White Rabbits and Vampire Weekend, who all sounded so good. Escpecially White Rabbits, they opened, you are almost last on the bill? Where was your A game? Whatever, I may be prejudice, BUT, after Slightly Stoopid, I would have listened to them a million times over. {arktimes.com}

Band #9, 10pm, MUSE: So I was pretty indifferent about this band. I own one CD of theirs, and at the time I got this album in 2007? I loved them. Then I moved on and spread my love else where. I think its because I never heard "Hysteria" before. It alone has the ability to make a non believer like me, a believer. So does sitting in the Mandalay Bay parking garage and watching your Aunts and Cousin rock out to it at full volume. The best time I've had in that garage (cuz I use to live in Vegas) since watching  my boss smoke pot, in roughly the same parking stall. Oh, memories. Anyway, MUSE puts on an amazing live show. So, however you feel about them: love or hate. You have to respect a band that can make you want to rip your shirt off and toss it on stage, followed closely by your naked body. right? {zmemusic.com}

3 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you how happy I am about your blog? I love that I have something to look forward to everyday. I just feel so good about all that you have going on. And now, what with Tea Cakes, I have even more to look forward to. So basically, thanks.
    Also, Social D with Pretty in Pink??!! Takes me right back to high school and maybe a slumber party or two that we had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa, I love you! Thanks for reading! You rock and yes always back to a slumber party or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Metric last summer at FM 94.9's Independence Jam with Dead Confederate and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They put on a great show. I have vids on YouTube too.

    Saw Cage a few weeks ago with Black Joe Lewis. I found them eccentric and Iggy Pop-ish rocking. I liked them.

    Haven't seen Phoenix yet... Blew it TWICE. Damn it.

    Vampire Weekend's live show is alright. I think they attract such a random group of people that it's hard to get everyone dancing. I like the music though.

    I've seen Slightly Stoopid a bunch. Saw what you will but they've built a dedicated fan base touring every year for over a decade. Brad Noel (of Sublime fan) signed them when they were only 16. They're giving out 7 free songs and a video for the holidays... I haven't seen any of the other bands do this: http://bit.ly/StoopidHolidaze

    311 though... Yeah, not that into them. I took my ex to a show once bc she loved them... Every song seemed to blend into each other.

    I guess I've got to give Muse a try again... I always hear too much of other bands in their music, especially Queen.

    Thanks for the write up :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Log