Wednesday, December 9

Fashionably Lonely


For me personally, I like reading books before I see the movies. Only exceptions: 1. Lord of the Rings. I am still working my way through that series, but I've see the movies more times than I can even say. 2. Anytime a movie comes out and I was previously unaware it was based on a book.

If I read the book after seeing the movie, I tend to not like the book, for example: Fight Club, I love Chuck Palahniuk, he is so irreverent in his writing, but I loved the movie more than the book. In Cold Blood, Truman Capote is very wordy, his description of things are a bit tiresome at times.

If I read a book, then see the movie, even if they aren't very similar, I can appreciate them both as a individual entity. But see the movie then read the book, I can't do it, my brain doesn't work that way, because, the movie creates the images for me. I just was thinking about this because I was talking with my brother about reading "The Road" before seeing "The Road". I told him to read it before seeing it. The movie looks amazing, but it also looks like it fills in some of the gaps that are so poetically placed in the book. Answers I wouldn't want answered. One of the most haunting things about that book, was how little you get from it. There are no names, no times, no how's or why's. And even though I am all about the movie exploring those avenues. I know having those answers would have taken away from my reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Log